OH. MY. GOODNESS!!
T.G.I.F. AND Friday the 13th in OCTOBER…LOOK OUT!
Clearly I can’t keep calm because this is awesome! What a day it’s going to be. Ha Ha Ha. I feel like today should be embraced for both it’s potential awesomeness and spooky factor. How often do we have a Friday the 13th that falls in the month of October??? The answer is, not that often. The last time we had a Friday the 13th in October was in 2006. That was ELEVEN years ago people! Having a Friday the 13th happen in October than any other month is not only rare but a little spooky! Totally fits for the “spooky” month of October.
Now I don’t consider myself very superstitious, but I probably buy into things a little more than others. At the end of the day I love October, I love Halloween and will make any excuse to do something more spooky, especially today.
When I started looking into Friday the 13th stuff I found a few weird/interesting things:
- The superstition’s origins are mysterious — It’s unclear when Friday and number 13 became linked in the way we think of them today. Apparently there are no mentions of Friday the 13th before the 19th century…
- Fear of the day itself has an official name — paraskevidekatriaphobia (yea I have no idea how to pronounce that)
- Many hospitals have no room 13, while airports don’t have a Gate 13. Hotels and skyscrapers also tend to dismiss the unlucky floor by skipping straight from 12 to 14. Ooooooh now that’s creepy!
- Lucky #13 — There have been superstitions around the number 13 for hundreds of years. But the number 13 isn’t bad luck to everyone. In some cultures it’s looked upon as a good luck number. So get a lottery ticket today!
- The King of Horror (old-time horror that is) — Alfred Hitchcock, was born on Aug. 13, 1899.
- Apollo 13 — Lots of 13’s here…Apollo 13 launched at 1:13 p.m. on April 11th with Jim Lovell, Jack Swigert and Fred Haise. That’s right: there are three 13s there (13:13 p.m. by military time). Hmmmm
- Today is Friday the 13th which means tomorrow is Saturday the 14th, which means WEEKEND!
I also found some great lists of things to do on Friday the 13th. Here are a few that we might even try out!
- I get a tattoo — apparently lots of shops do a Friday the 13th specials (this would be awesome!)
- Play with a Ouija board — those things can be suuuuper creepy
- Have a scary movie marathon (totally happening!)
- Do something superstitious — I love this list. What are some of your superstitions? Will you try your luck with any of them??
- Buy a lottery ticket — remember lucky #13
- Adopt a black cat
Friday the 13th is really what you make it. If you want to blow it off as just another calendar day, go for it. But, if you’re the type who thinks superstitions can be a little fun, or at the very least are looking for an excuse to stay home and watch a bunch of scary movies, make sure to relish Friday the 13th this year. I mean it’s finally occurring in October! Double win I think.
So how do you plan to spending your Friday the 13th??? Wishing you all a spooky and lucky day. Have a great weekend!