HAPPY 2018 FRIENDS!!
Hope you all had an amazing start to the year. I can’t believe we are already at the end of January and I haven’t even gotten this post out yet. Ha Ha Ha. This month has been so hectic and sadly, didn’t start off very well. Back in December we were dealing with the Thomas Fire (which FINALLY got contained), but then we had the devastating Monecito mudslide. The destruction, devastation and loss of so many lives has just been unreal. The 101 freeway was closed for some time and they are still working on clean-up efforts. A lot of the beaches were closed due to high levels of bacteria. It’s been a rough start to the year folks. Poor Santa Barbara just can’t seem to catch a break. Things at work have also been pretty hectic because of all this. Hoping that once we get to February things will start turning around!
You can read about my previous resolutions here 2017, 2016, 2015 & 2014.
Here is my list and some thoughts for 2018:
1. Read 13 books
Last year I completely “failed” this resolution. I think I was supposed to read 12 books (one each month) and I ended up only reading FIVE books. Sad 😦 I love to read and just need to make reading more of a habit. Hoping this year I will be able to read 13 books plus any more I can get my hands one! You can see what I am reading here and join/start your own challenge.
I found this fun list, Best Books for Your Year and thought I’d share!
2. Continue my meditation practice
Meditation has been a large part of my life and something that I’ve been doing every day for quite some time now. I’m getting close to three years of meditating on February 6th! So excited to be reaching that milestone. This year I would really love to deepen my practice or just give more of myself to it. The idea of “letting go” especially of worries, stress and things that are not in my control is still something I plan to continue to work on. It’s really hard to break the habit of worrying and stressing over things. I’m hoping that I can find more of myself through my practice and feel more at peace. Meditation is absolutely wonderful and has added so much to my life!❤❤
3. Keep a daily gratitude journal (again)
I’ve been keeping a daily gratitude journal since 2013. I really love doing this throughout the year and think it helps me feel more present in everyday life. Last year I shared a few ways to keep a gratitude journal. You can find some tips here and here as well as some of the benefits of keeping a gratitude journal. I also found this really great gratitude journal. I do my journaling for this on my phone, but I might have to get that cute journal at some point!
4. Volunteer more
Last September I joined the Junior League of Santa Barbara and would love to get even more involved within the organization. I really love giving back and making a positive impact on my community.
5. Spend more time outside/watch more sunsets
Whether it’s walking the dogs, going to the beach, or playing tennis, I just want to get outside more.
6. Keep WRITING! On this blog and everywhere else
I still need to open 642 Things to Write About. Maybe this will be the year. Ha Ha Ha. I keep saying that! But seriously, I’d really love to keep up with my blogging and hoping to maybe turn it into something more…
7. Everything below!
A few other thoughts I have for 2018 and for myself this year include:
- Keep working to achieve my dreams — skies the limit right?!
- Become more confident — definitely need to work on this. I tend to be hard on myself and don’t give myself enough credit.
- Bring more peace into my life — looking for more inner peace, contentment, and serenity. Still working on accepting what is, practicing non-judgement, and teaching my mind to become still.
- Be kinder to myself — believing in myself, respecting myself, and treating myself well.
- Taming My Monkey Mind — even with all that meditation practice I still sometimes suffer from “monkey mind.” Great article on how to tame your monkey mind here.
- Career Success — really liked everything on Resolutions of Career Success list
There you have it folks; my resolutions for 2018. We’re just rolling through 2018 and tomorrow is already February!